Due to the corona virus pandemic
this event has been cancelled.
Dates will be set soon
in April, 2021 for
the next Gathering.
25th NC Gathering of Men in North Carolina
Sponsored by The Men’s Council
April 17-19, 2020
Theme: In the “In-Between”
A liminal space is the time between the ‘what was’ and the ‘next.’ It is a place of transition, waiting, and not knowing. Liminal space is where all transformation takes place, if we learn to wait and let it form us.
Camp Chestnut Ridge, Efland, NC just off I-40 between Burlington and Durham
The Gathering Experience
Words fail to express fully what happens when men go beyond trivial everyday banalities and into meaningful community. If you are just learning about this event, the video, In the Safety of Men, best communicates the value of the Gathering. For more than twenty years, the NC Gathering of Men has opened a space for men to experience the mystery of deep communing through the sharing of stories, poetry, drumming, and being together with open hearts. This event is planned and led by men seasoned in facilitating men’s retreats and working with men out of their own deep personal experiences.
The schedule for the weekend will include large group gatherings with stories and poems, small group sessions, time for ritual, many workshops to choose from, music, song, and enough free time to explore the beautiful camp and lake. Sign in will be from 5 to 7 PM on Friday. The program will begin at 7 PM. Closing will be at 3 PM on Sunday.
We rely on networking to get the word out. If you know of other men who would enjoy and benefit from this weekend, please let them know. If you know men who you think would benefit from this experience, and do not have internet access, print this page and share it with them. Anyone who does not have means to register online should contact the Registrar directly (see below), and we will work with that individual to get them registered by phone.
CAMP CHESTNUT RIDGE is situated on 340 acres of beautiful wooded hills, wetlands, and a 9 acre lake. Cabins are dormitory style with bunks, toilets, and showers – or bring a tent and camp out! Plan to bring your own bedding, towels, and personal necessities.
Meals will be provided from Saturday breakfast through Sunday lunch. Fruit will be available for snacking. There will be no meal Friday afternoon or evening. Plan on either eating before arrival or bringing a bag lunch.
Young men (ages 13 and up) are invited to attend the Gathering. We require young men 17 and under to be accompanied by a male parent or guardian or to have an assigned male sponsor. They must also submit a permission form signed by a parent or guardian and a special waiver of liability. You will receive links to the forms along with details about the weekend when you complete your registration. Contact the registrar if you’d like more information.
Every year we have wonderful workshops to choose from including topics on men’s issues, poetry, and Dynamic Breath work. Our workshops are led by the extraordinary volunteer talent of our participants. If you have a workshop that you might like to conduct, please consider submitting a proposal by completing this Workshop Proposal Form.
Pre-Gathering Sessions. (These may be different for 2019) For those who want to get a jump on the weekend we offer pre-Gathering sessions. In 2019 there will be one option for men to consider attending early Friday afternoon.
Dynamic Breathwork with Simon McCain
Click on this LINK for more information.
The registration fees are:
- Adult men 26 y.o. and older – $140
- Young men ages 13-25 – $70
Caveats for Registration
- The cutoff for registration is midnight April 12. No registrations will be accepted after that time and you must be registered by that date to attend the 2020 Gathering.
- To create and maintain a safe space for the work of Gathering participants we ask that all participants arrange their schedules to be present from the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. Friday till the closing ceremony at 3 p.m. on Sunday. The quality of experience of the Gathering is highly dependent on the “container” that the participants create over the course of the weekend. The so-called container is a psychological space in which individual participants can safely stretch their limits and feel supported in the process.
- Cancel by the registration cutoff date, midnight the Sunday before the start date – registration fee refunded less 10% for administrative costs.
- Cancellations after the cutoff date and through Thursday the day before the Gathering start – generally, registration fee forfeited and diverted to help with financial aid and operations; a nonrefundable credit of the registration fee can, on a case by case basis, be applied to the next year’s Gathering if you decide to attend. Credits not used in a year will go toward TMC financial aid and operations.
- Less than 24 hours in advance, no shows, or early departure – registration fee forfeited and used to support TMC’s financial aid and operations.
The Men’s Council reserves the right to cancel this event at any time, in which case a full refund will be provided.
No one will be excluded due to financial need. We have arranged for a range of options from partial to full waivers of registration fees depending on an individual’s situation.
To register for the Gathering go to the Registration Page. You will complete a registration form and then be directed to the options for paying registration fees. If you need financial aid, you will also find a button linking to a form to make your request.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
2020 TMC Gathering, April 17-19
Registration ends Midnight Sunday, April 12
TMC REGISTRAR: Bron Skinner
PHONE or TEXT: 919-923-7539 (cell)
The Men’s Council
Attn: Registrar, Bron Skinner
8222 Huntsman Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27516